Sângeorgiu de Mureş Castle

Sângeorgiu de Mureş (Hungarian: Marosszentgyörgy) is a commune in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania, situated at 320m altitude, at 3 km of Târgu-Mureş. Build over a Daco-Roman rural settlement, the village is documentary certified in 1332. Then, there was a Franciscan friary, Sacerdos de Sancto Georgio, led by a monk named Fabianus.

In 1549, the Petki family built in Sângeorgiu de Mureş the first castle, surrounded by fortress walls. In 1640, Petki Istvan built a new stone castle, along the village's main street, on a hill with a magnificent panorama. The castle was built in late Renaissance style, and modified in Baroque style in 1759. In 1870, the Mariaffi family rebuilt the castle with elements of Neoclassical and Empire styles. Construction was completed with some extraordinary costs, and for the decorations were brought craftsmen and architects from Vienna. The park with an impressive arboretum, ornamental bushes, flowers and a lake had about 7 hectares.

The heir of the domain, Mariaffy Lajos, lives in Canada and wants to sell it. The castle is now in an advanced state of decay.

Sânpaul Castle

Sânpaul (Hungarian: Kerelőszentpál, Szentpál; German: Paulsdorf) is a commune in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania. It is located on Mureş River, 20 km west from Târgu-Mureş.

Sânpaul village was documentary attested in 1332 as Sancta Paulo, in the 'Târnava Minor Archdeaconry Register', page 614, where is noted that Szent Pál village paid between 1332-1337 a contribution of 40 dinars to Vatican. It seems that at the time existed already here a fortification made of stone and wood - in another document it is reminded that in 1263 people of Kerelew (Chirileu, a village belonging to Sânpaul commune) were send to defend the citadel.

The first castle was built by Count Alardi Ferenc, at an unknown date. The first owner of the village was Szentpáli Mihály. When all his heirs died, the village was taken by one of the sons of King Matthias Corvinus. In 1486 the estate became the property Szentgyörgyi family, then in 1511 Ferenc and Márton, sons of a remote heir of Szentpáli family, were the next owners. Other masters followed, until the village became the property of Báthory family. In 1575 here was a battle for the possession of Transylvania, between Prince Báthory István and hostile nobles led by Békés Gáspár. During this battle, the castle was destroyed.

In 1609, Báthory Gábor donated the domain to Haller brothers - István, György and Zsigmond. The Haller family originated from Nürnberg, Germany. In April 1699, they became Barons, and on January 15 1719 became Counts. In 1610, Haller István began the reconstruction of the castle, which was completed in 1674 by his son, Haller János. It was destroyed again during the Kuruc Uprising (1703–1711, Romanian: Războiul curuţilor) against the Habsburgs, led by Rákóczi Ferenc II. The Medieval remains of the castle were demolished in the mid 18th century. It was built also a chapel, between 1745-1760. Followed a new reconstruction, but the castle was significantly damaged again in 1945, during WWII. The Haller family owned the Sânpaul domain until 1949, when all properties have been confiscated and nationalized. Near the castle was a vast arboretum with many rare and exotic species, and an ornamental lake. It seems that it was also a secret tunnel between the castle and the chapel on the hill.

In 1960, the castle was rebuilt by the 'Authority for Historical Monuments'. During the Communist regime, it was used as site for an agricultural association, vegetable storage, furniture storage, temporary home for people affected by floods in the '70. After 1990, it was claimed by the daughter of Count Haller, who donated it to the Roman-Catholic Archdiocese of Alba-Iulia.

Ancient legends speak of a terrible curse that still haunts the castle in Sânpaul. It is said that a gypsy witch, angered by the cruelty of Count Alardi Ferenc that unjustly whipped his husband, cursed the family and the castle to eternal desolation. Since then, the troubles followed the owners and the noble edifice which they lived. The castle was built three times and three times reached the decay and desolation.

Lăpuşna Castle

Lăpuşna is a village belonging to Ibăneşti commune, Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania. It is located in Gurghiu Mountains, 45 km far for Reghin, in an area of outstanding beauty.

The story of the Lăpuşna Hunting Castle (or the Royal Hunting House) starts in 1923, when King Ferdinand I of Romania (1914-1927) had visited for the first time the area of Gurghiu Mountains. Charmed by the picturesque beauty of the landscapes, he decided to build in Lăpuşna a hunting lodge. The castle was built between 1925-1926.

The ensemble is composed of of 7 buildings with 35 rooms and a park of 4 hectares. It seems that the firs planted around the buildings form the contour of Romania. Not far is the wooden Lăpuşna Monastery (1779), brought here from Comori village by King Carol II, church that served as a place of worship for the Royal House. Once the relocation of the church, were brought here icons which proves the strong links between Moldavia and Transylvania during the 18th century.

The Hunting Castle was owned by the Royal House of Romania. King Ferdinand I, King Carol II (1930-1940) and King Michael I (1927-1930 and 1940-1947) often came here to hunt. It was nationalized in 1947, and was administrated by the commune of Ibăneşti.

Then, the castle became the favorite hunting place of the Ceauşescu family, the dictator bringing here numerous heads of state as Nikita Khrushchev, Todor Jivkov or Josip Broz Tito. Ceauşescu used the castle at least three times a year.

After the fall of Communism in 1990, the castle was used as a hunting base by Ion Ţiriac, Prince Dimitrie Sturdza, and many American and European hunters. Here were established several world records for trophies of Carpathian brown bear, black goat and deer. In total, there were obtained more than 300 gold medals for hunting trophies. Here is also a good place for trout fishing in Gurghiu River.

Images from here.

Gurghiu Castle

Gurghiu (Hungarian: Görgényszentimre, German: Görgen) is a commune in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania. It is located on Gurghiu River, tributary of the Mureş River, 14 km east of Reghin. Of the ten villages components of the commune, ethnic Romanian population is predominant in nine of them, while in Glajărie village Hungarians constitute an absolute majority.

Gurghiu was documentary attested in 1248 under the name of Gurgen, and over time has been mentioned in documents written in Latin, Romanian or Hungarian under different names as Gőrgény, Gergin, St. Emrich, Gergen, Geurgény, Girgn, Görgen, Villa sancti Emerici, Gurgiu-a-Sint-Imbrului, Giurgiu Sânt Imbrului, Gurghií, Gurdghiu. Some linguists and ethnologists suggest that the name is of Petcheneg origin, meaning 'hornbeam forest'. In the Middle Ages there existed a medieval fortress on a hill 500 m high, that served as favorite residence of the principles of Transylvania, and as the meeting place of the Diet of Transylvania.

Between 1642-1643, Prince Rákóczi György I built a curia at the foot of the mountain. It came very often for hunting in Gurghiu, a domain which in those days was a princely property belonging to the Treasury of Transylvania. Due to health problems, the prince did not want to climb each time to the fortress on the hill, so that construction raised the hill. It was a building with a floor, with about 20 rooms, built under the guidance of an architect of the prince. Rákóczi was very concerned of this project, so he called foremasters and artisans from several cities of Transylvania. The stones which were used to build the windows' frames were made in Cluj, which at the time had the most famous sculptors in stone. By the end of the 17th century, the area remained the property of George Rakoczy I, then again in possession of the Treasury.

In 1730, the masters of that time have built in the courtyard of the castle a small Roman-Catholic church, which served as a chapel. The church interior was decorated with baroque frescoes. In 1734, the estate was rented for 99 years by Bornemissza, a Catholic Szekely family, that have accomplished the building the castle. Using materials from the ruins of the citadel on the hill, they built the rest of the buildings and the castle chapel, and in 1740 they arranged an arboretum and various species of trees, but indigenous and exotic.

In the 18th century, Bornemissza family was very famous in Transylvania. The most important family member was Bornemissza János, who was Chancellor of Transylvania, second in the political hierarchy after the Governor. Taking full advantage of this position, the chancellor has obtained many favors, bringing more wealth to his family. The rent period ended in 1830, at which point began a long series of lawsuits between Bornemissza family (raised in the meantime to the rank of barons) and state. The trials lasted until 1872, when the barons lost the domain to the State. Construction of the castle was not only investment but noble family. They also had a glass manufacturing in Glăjari, where worked craftsmen from Moravia, porcelain, paper and spirit factories, Catholic schools and parish houses, investments for which they received compensation from the state. After a trial that lasted 27 years, Bornemissza tenant was compensated by the state with the amount of 500 thousand florins, and the area remained under state ownership.

In 1880, the domain was transformed into a hunting castle hunting for Prince Rudolf Josef of Austria, the building being refurbished for the needs of Habsburg prince. Coming often in Gurghiu for hunting, he fell in love with the picturesque area and held himself hunting parties and outdoor baroque music concerts.

The royal hunting castle did not enjoy too many years of glory. They say that the imperial family was cursed by the monks of the Order of Saint Benedict, after they been ousted by the emperor from 'their holy headland' in the Adriatic. For Rudolf, the curse has became a passionate crime. Prince committed suicide because the king forbade the relationship with the beautiful Czech ballerina, Maria Vetsera, vehemently rejected his son's intention to divorce his wife. Legends say that the prince planned to retire with his young mistress to Gurghiu because was very fond of this area, but in a moment of mental aberration, shot Maria in sleep then committed suicide.

The Royal period ended with the death of the prince, in 1893. Then there existed a famous preparatory school for foresters and specialists in hunting, where taught teachers who came from various parts of the Habsburg Empire. By building of a new forestry school, the hunting castle became a museum.

Although the current state of the building is very poor, have preserved many elements both of the Renaissance and the Baroque period, being one of the best preserved buildings of the era, in Transylvania. Castle is one of the most representative baroque castles built here.

Images from here and here.

If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Some days ago closed the 60th annual edition of the Berlin Film Festival. Romania’s If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle (Romanian: Eu când vreau să fluier, fluier), the debut feature of 35-year-old director Florin Şerban set in a grim youth prison and featuring a cast full of amateurs, won the runner-up Grand Jury Prize (Silver Bear), and Alfred-Bauer Award for Cinematic Innovation.

The film is based on play with the same name of Andrea Vălean and focuses on the story of a teenager prisoner awaits his release when two weeks before that happens he's told that his mother is returned home from Italy. Meanwhile, he finds himself in love with a Sociology student, Ana, working in the penitentiary as an intern. When he hears that his mother wants to take his younger brother in Italy, he decides to escape, five days before his release.

It's the first Romanian feature whose cast was made by a detailed casting in rehabilitation centers for juveniles. For the leading role was chosen George Piştereanu, graduate of the 'Dinu Lipatti Art High School' in Bucharest. Writers were Cătălin Mitulescu and Florin Şerban, the film was produced by Strada Film and is distributed by Metropolis Film.

Boiu-Ţopa Castle

Boiu (former Boiu Mare; Saxon German: Bān, Bun; German: Gross-Freudendorf, Freudendorf, Großbun; Hungarian: Bún, Felsőbún, Nagybún) is a village in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania. It belongs to Albeşti commune, 7 km from Sighişoara.

The Bethlen Castle in Boiu-Ţopa was build in two stages in 1617 and 1675, the first by Bethlen Farkas, prince Gabriel Bethlen's adviser and captain and the second by his son, Janos, the Chancellor Teleki Mihaly's adviser. The castle combines the characters of a nobleman's residence and a fortress: a three storey central building in late Renaissance style, enclosed by walls and four towers and shooting holes under the roof. It consists of a central rectangular body, with diamond-shaped crenelated towers attached, conducted on three levels, a rectangular enclosure with four polygon-shaped corner towers and an annex building on the west side. The enclosure housed a park with rare trees. In time were added the southern entrance to the castle, the arches, the loggia, the protective wall around the main building and one tower designed by Haller Gabor.

Stylistically, the building belongs to the late Renaissance, with Baroque architectural elements. Characteristic are the covering slopes with high oblique angle, the loggia with above flat arches, the Corinthian pilasters and parapet with balusters in stone of the first floor, the windows and doors frames. Basement and ground floor rooms have semi-cylindrical vaults with penetration, a decoration painted in tempera covered floor walls inside and outside.

Similar to the residences of other noblemen, the castle was expropriated (1945) and used as a grain depot. Although it was declared a historical monument in 1957, it endured repeated alterations and destruction. The situation worsened in 1972 when the castle was left in the path of the overflow waters after the government diverted the Târnava River to protect Sighişoara from flooding. The chance of the castle being inundated is estimated to be once every 20 years. This threat and inconsistent policies in protecting historical monuments in Romania have impeded any restoration work. The project drawn up in 1992 has been forgotten and the monument is close to collapse.

Ozd Castle

Ozd (Hungarian: Magyarózd; German: Thürendorf) is a village in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania, belonging to Bichiş commune. It was documentary attested in 1332.

The first known owners of the domain were 'the sons of Simon', in 1358. In 1496 it belonged to the Alba Iulia chapter, and in 1509 to Barlabássy Lénárd. In the time of Zápolya János, King of Hungary (1526-1540), it was owned by the Ózd family. In 1583, Báthory Zsigmond, Prince of Transylvania, donate the domain to Szalánczi György and Baládfi Magdolná, then Radák István' wife, Tolmács Zsófia get possession of the village. At the end of the 17th century, the domain passed in the Pekri family's possession.

In the time of Barlabássy Lénárd, in 1514, here was already a castle ('domum et curiam nobilitarem in Ozd'). The present castle was built in 1682 by Pekri (or Pekry) Lőrincz, a kuruc general. The kuruc (name derived from the Latin word "cruciatus" (crusader), ultimately from "crux" (cross); Romanian: curuţ) were soldiers of different nationalities fighting in the army of Rákóczi Ferenc II (1676-1735), leader of the Hungarian uprising against the Habsburgs (1703-1711). The castle was besieged and burned by the Austrian troops in March 1709, then restored significantly in 1732 by the new holder, Radá Ádám. The castle entered into the property of a branch of Kemeny family.

The last owners were Baron Kondradshein Janos and his wife, Teleki Ilona. The Baron, of Austrian origin, came from Ploieşti when he received the castle as a gift from Adam Rodach, another Austrian nobleman after his daughter was married to a Reformed man, after divorce from her first husband, a Catholic. In 1948, after the proclamation of the Republic, the baron and his family were forced to leave in a village near Reghin, from where they emigrated to France and then in Canada.

The Ozd castle has square shape, with circular towers on corners. It does not have an uniform style. It was inspired by the Renaissance castles, whose towers began to have a more decorative role, but has also Baroque elements. The castle has 20 rooms, a ballroom, an impressive library, wine cellars, a greenhouse, stucco decorations.

After the leave of the Baron, began looting - furniture, carpets, paintings, books in the library, all have disappeared, one by one. None did nothing to stop the disaster. In the castle have been installed, one by one - an agricultural association, the kindergarten, one school, a house of culture, a community center. In the '70, it was temporary home for some teachers; it was rebuilt in the '90. Then, the heirs sold the castle for 1$ to the Bonus Pastor Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organization that restored the roof and intends to restore the entire castle. It will become a rehabilitation center.

Images from here.

Zau de Câmpie Castle

Zau de Câmpie (former Zău; Hungarian: Mezőzáh; German: Sannendorf) is a village in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania. It was documentary attested in May 25, 1339, and it has a population of 3,509: 80% Romanians, 11% Roma and 9% Hungarians. Zau de Câmpie belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary, Austrian Empire, Austria-Hungary Empire. Since 1918 it belongs to Romania, after the re-unification of Transylvania with Romania. It was occupied by Hungary between 1940-1944, time when the Jewish community was exterminated by the Nazis.

The summer residence of Baron Ugron István, resembling a French medieval castle, stay hidden for nearly 100 years in Bârsana forest and tells all about the love that crushed the soul of his master. Baron Ugron István was Foreign Affairs Minister and Ambassador of Austria-Hungary in Russia and he fell in love with one of the daughters of Tzar Nikolai II of Russia.

The castle was built between 1909 and 1911 by architect Pákey (or Pákei) Lajos from Cluj, using Italian foremen. It is a really architectural calendar, having 4 towers as the seasons, 12 hallways as the months of the year, 52 rooms as the weeks of the year, 7 terraces as the weekdays, and 365 windows as the days of the year. The castle is surrounded by a dendrological park, many of the rare species of trees being planted by Baron himself.

The Baron tried to convince the Princess to marry him, giving as gift the castle in Zau. She asked that the whole road between the railway station and the palace to be covered with gold coins, and the Baron ordered to do so. But once work started, the Princess asked Ugron to put the gold coins so that no one can step on the Emperor's head. Even if he was very rich and owned immense properties, Ugron István wasn't able to satisfy this desire. Time has solved his problem, but in a manner that crushed his heart and led him to retire permanently from public life. That after the Bolsheviks seized power and killed the entire family of the Tzar, including his beloved. Since then, the Baron came to the castle just for short visits, and died alone and pensive in 1945.

After World War II, the heirs donated for free the building to the Romanian state. The castle received more destinations, and the furniture was moved to Turda. Since 1958 here was an agricultural vocational school, and since 1963 an orphanage. The heirs claim today the domain, the surrounding forests being already returned.

Glodeni Castle

Glodeni (former Şarpotoc, Şarpatoc; Hungarian: Marossárpatak, Sárpatak; German: Scharpendorf, Schellenberg, Kothbach; trad. Muddy Creek) is a village in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania.

Glodeni was attested in 1263. In the Papal documents, it appears on May 13, 1319, when King Carol of Hungary has donated to Simion, son of Michael, Count of Şemlacul Mare and of Caraş, properties in several villages including Glodeni, for his faith to the king. The residents of this village, Romanians and Hungarians, were for centuries serfs of the Teleki and Bornemisza families.

In 1675, the Glodeni domain was acquired by Count Teleki Mihály. In the early 19th century, were built here two lesser-known castles for the Teleki familiey. One of them, the castle on the hill, had only one floor and was destroyed by Count Teleki József during crisis after World War II. The entire area was divided for the villagers to build houses.

The second castle, which still guards the village center, was built in Empire style (1872), surrounded by a vast courtyard and a romantic park on the model of the noblemen courts in the surroundings of Budapest. Much greater than the building on the hill, he looked in shape and arrangement as the Teleki Castle in Dumbrăvioara.

The castle of Glodeni is distinct of other such buildings by its greatness: the main entrance was marked by Corinthian columns, the cellars were vaulted and spacious, the staircase and the carriage parking were built in Baroque style, and the salons were very large, decorated with miniature statues. The interior was not sumptuous decorated, but on the walls were exposed works of famous artists of the 18th century. Also, the family library was invaluable, the counts collecting books from around the world.

The last owner of the domain was Count Teleki Károly. After the WWII, the domain was nationalized, and in 1952, there was established a Care and Support Center for Persons with Disabilities. Today, the castle is still a property of the Romanian state, but its legal status is uncertain. The building was well maintained, the whole area being in a good condition.

Images from here.

Criş Castle

Criş (former Crişd; German Saxon: Kraeš; German: Kreisch; Hungarian: Keresd) is a village in Daneş commune, near Sighişoara, Mureş County, Romania.

Before 1300, one of the members of the Bethlen family received here a domain, for his bravery during the crusades. Since then goes back also the legend of the family coat of arms, depicting a serpent with an apple in his mouth. The legend said that the place was haunted by a monster, a giant snake associated with the numerous disappearances among locals. The crusader, seeing the snake, have thrown it an apple, which he would have drowned. Historians have a different interpretation, seeing the apple as a symbol of a Papal document, and added during the time the family converted from Catholicism to the Reformed religion.

The Bethlen Castle construction began before 1300 and lasted over 400 years (between 14th-17th centuries). Initially, the castle had an irregular quadrilateral shape, with wedge-type rhomboidal bastions on corners. Built in several stages, it was originally designed in Gothic style, and over the years were added the Transylvanian Renaissance elements, being now the most beautiful Renaissance castle in Transylvania.

Now, the castle has a fortified square shape, with circular bastions at the corners and square entrance tower, a structure typical for the late medieval military architecture. The residence has two floors, an imposing circular tower (Archers' Tower) and a loggia with semicircular arched openings on short cylindrical pillars. The fortification system was completed with a semi-enclosure with bastions.

Reconstruction by Radu Oltean

The buildings of the castle, along with the walls of the fortress, enclose an almost rectangular square. The oldest building is the leveled medieval old tower, its highest level facade being decorated by painted high-relief figures showing warriors carrying halberds or shields in their right hands, their left hands resting on their waists. The 5th level of the tower comprising of eight arched windows is known to be used as a look-out. The secret turret case has been inserted into the thick tower walls. The old tower was provided with Renaissance doorway and window frames during the 16th and the 17th centuries.

In 1559, chancellor Georgius Bethlen and his wife Clara of Nagykároly completed the old tower with a vaulted building and a loggia. Their son, Miklos Bethlen, continued to bring further improvements to the castle, with new buildings in Renaissance style. Between 1675 1691, Count Alexius Bethlen consolidated the corners of the fortress with bastions.

The rear facade of the old tower faces a small yard, as well as the western walls of the fortress. The leveled building on the eastern side, along with the southern and western walls of the fortress enclose sculptured window and door frames. On the ground-floor is the chapel of the fortress – one of the most beautiful spaces of the building complex, with both Gothic and Renaissance decorating elements. The wing connecting the eastern side corner bastions hosts a range of inter-connected rooms, with a total length of 50 m.

The interior of the castle never failed to preserve its authenticity. The splendor of the salons was enhanced by the exquisitely painted and polished pieces of furniture, as well as by the inbuilt chests of drawers, carpets and rugs. Portraits of family members were lined up along the walls. The library and the family archives were on the first floor of the old tower.

In the courtyard of the tower there used to be a flower garden, the castle being surrounded by a vast English park. There was also a pentagonal summer pavilion, with walls decorated with paintings.

When Bethlen family left the country in 1948, the castle was nationalized and used as a pioneer camp and then as vegetables and grain warehouse of the village's farms. Many valuable objects, collections of art, weapons and hunting trophies, furniture, were taken to Sighişoara and some at the Bruckenthal Museum in Sibiu. The rest was stolen. In 1974 the castle was taken over by the Department of Historical Monuments, that began a sustained work of the consolidation and restoration, an activity that lasted until 1977. In that period have been strengthened the chapel, the octagonal tower, the dungeon tower and floor the ground-floor of the manor.

The castle has been partially restored in the '90, but the restoration stopped because the inheritors claimed the castle. After many years of legal suits, the Transylvanian branch of the family received the castle and the park.

Images from Incogniterra, Várak Magyarországon and Mishu Vass.

Dumbrăvioara Castle

Dumbrăvioara (former Şaromberc, Şarombărc, Dumbrăvicioara; German Saxon: Schallenbrich, German: Scharnberg, Scharberg, Scherberg, Hungarian: Sáromberke) is a village in Ernei commune, Mureş County, Romania. Dumbrăvioara was documentary attested in 1319 as the Sarumberg. In the Middle Ages it was a place intensely populated, according to a document from 1453. Since 1759 it was owned by the Teleki family.

The construction of the Baroque castle was begun in 1769 by Count Teleki Sámuel (1739-1822), Chancellor of Transylvania and founder of the Teleki Library in Târgu-Mureş. He began to build his house after he returned from its Western European travel in late 1760, preparing for his marriage with Zsuzsanna Bethlen de Iktár.

They started building the north wing (right) in 1769 and the construction of the south wing (left) began in 1773. Foremen came from Târgu-Mureş, such as the mason Pál Schmidt, carpenter Mihály Gyorfi and the locksmith Jacob Mizler. During this period, the aristocratic family lived in the north wing, the south rooms being reserved for household and personal purpose. In subsequent years Teleki lived here with his family. Outhouse units were built later (the complex of buildings behind the north wing, which ends in a block like a bastion in the years 1781-1782, the horse manege in 1825, etc.).

In the two wings deserve attention the beautiful baroque elements carved in stone of the portico in front of the entry, the ornaments of the facades and ceilings, the stucco decorations of the three salons in the northern wing. Since the time of Teleki Sámuel, behind the castle was planted a garden, which was later converted into English park.

The Neo-Baroque central wing, linking the two buildings of the 18th century, was built much later, in the years 1912-1913, after the plans of university professor in Budapest, István Möller, expert in monuments. The works were executed by a contractor from Târgu-Mureş, Lajos Csiszár. The wing was added by Count Teleki Sámuel (Samu) (1845–1916), the famous explorer of the African continent and grandson of Teleki Sámuel. It was equipped with modern utilities, but it complied with the forms of old Baroque wings. The castle from Dumbrăvioara was considered in the interwar period one of the most richly furnished and decorated houses of Transylvanian nobility. At the end of World War II the castle was sacked and pillaged. After the WWII, here was an Agricultural High School.

The last owner was Count Teleki Károly. His heirs, whose property has been returned by the court, have announced that they will donate the Castle to the community and that they will only keep several rooms for their accommodation when visiting Romania; then, they opened an internet auction to sell the castle, at a starting price of 1,300,000 Euro. The estate comprises today seven buildings, with a built area of 5050 sqm, and 15,228 sqm of terrain.