Sângeorgiu de Mureş (Hungarian: Marosszentgyörgy) is a commune in Mureş County, Romania, comprising of 3 villages and situated at 320m altitude, at 3km of Târgu-Mureş. Build over a Daco-Roman rural settlement, the village is documentary certified in 1332, as Sancta Georgia. Here is a 14-th century castle, rebuilt in Baroque style in 1759 and later, in 1809, in Neoclassical and Empire styles; also, here is a natural reserve, "Secular Oaks from Sângeorgiu de Mureş".
The bathing place, Sângeorgiu de Mureş Salt Bath, is well known for the quality of its salt springs, mineral mud and mofettes. The first owner was a local landlord, Csete Bela, who noticed that the pits dug in his land filled rapidly with salt water. In 1880, here was a pool with salt water, the source of this salt water being a surface spring. Sângeorgiu is highlighted as "Salted Gardens" or "Salted Wells" in a document from 1888. In 1912, the first drill had been made, expecting to find in the deepest grounds gas and oil but the surprise was when there was found salt water springs.
The exceptional mineralization of the water is given by its concentration (124 g/l) and its content (Iodine 11,4 mg/l – being the most important element for human life, Bromine, Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and Nitrogenous) which provides therapeutic facilities. The mofettes are rich in Chlorine, Sodium, Potassium, Iodine, Bromine. There is a great resemblance between Sângeorgiu Salt Baths and the main spring of Szobranc in Switzerland and the special waters from Untere-Quelle in Switzerland. Sângeorgiu de Mureş Salt Bath has a very modern treatment, spa and wellness center and a sports center.