The Baroque Complex in Oradea is composed of the Roman-Catholic Bishopric Palace (or the Baroque Palace, described here), the Roman-Catholic Basilica and the Row of the Canons, three splendid Baroque buildings that once belonged to the same architectural complex. Now, the situation has returned, all three buildings belong to the Roman-Catholic Bishopric of Oradea.
The Row Of The Canons (Şirul Canonicilor Street), represents in fact an architectural complex composed of 57 arches that form a long corridor of over 250 meters uniting 10 buildings. It was built between 1750-1875, after the project of architect Franz Anton Hillebrandt. By 1780 there were erected 7 of the 10 buildings, two buildings were completed in 1863, and the tenth was completed in 1875, more than 100 years of starting construction of the first building. In the initial phase in the complex of buildings had included a Roman-Catholic seminary, but that was not built here. They sheltered the canons of the Bishopric.
that it is more a Transylvanian popular classical architecture. The curious
ones can count the 56 vaults of the complex that, when looked at from an end to the other, give the impression of an endless row.
The altars of the basilica are of classic, reflecting the preference for sobriety and simplicity specific to the late phase of the Baroque. The dimensions of the cathedral are the following: length 68 m, width 30 m, height of dome 24 m, height of tower 61 m. The cupola fresco represents "The Triumph of July heavenly Christ" by John Schopf, in a style called "II Correggro" (1778), others are the work of painter Francis Storno (1878-1880). The main altar is of Carrara marble, carved by Italian foreman Triscornia after the plans of Stefan Toth, in Neo-Renaissance style (1897). The two statues, executed in 1897 by Francis Eberhardt, represents St. Stephen and St. Emeric. The main altar painting, titled "Raising at Heaven of the Virgin Mary" was painted in 1778 the Austrian artist Vincent Fischer, in the style of Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. The two paintings in the secondary naves, representing St. Ladislaus and The Holy Family, were realized by painter Vincent Fischer.
At the side entry of the cathedral there are several funerary monuments from 15th and 16th centuries, in Gothic and Renaissance styles, which belonged to the ancient cathedral of the city. The organ dates from 1780, is the work of Fridolin Festl, and has been given to the cathedral by Empress Maria Theresa of Austria. The Basilica houses the relics of St. Ladislaus.