Ozd Castle

Ozd (Hungarian: Magyarózd; German: Thürendorf) is a village in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania, belonging to Bichiş commune. It was documentary attested in 1332.


The first known owners of the domain were 'the sons of Simon', in 1358. In 1496 it belonged to the Alba Iulia chapter, and in 1509 to Barlabássy Lénárd. In the time of Zápolya János, King of Hungary (1526-1540), it was owned by the Ózd family. In 1583, Báthory Zsigmond, Prince of Transylvania, donate the domain to Szalánczi György and Baládfi Magdolná, then Radák István' wife, Tolmács Zsófia get possession of the village. At the end of the 17th century, the domain passed in the Pekri family's possession.


In the time of Barlabássy Lénárd, in 1514, here was already a castle ('domum et curiam nobilitarem in Ozd'). The present castle was built in 1682 by Pekri (or Pekry) Lőrincz, a kuruc general. The kuruc (name derived from the Latin word "cruciatus" (crusader), ultimately from "crux" (cross); Romanian: curuţ) were soldiers of different nationalities fighting in the army of Rákóczi Ferenc II (1676-1735), leader of the Hungarian uprising against the Habsburgs (1703-1711). The castle was besieged and burned by the Austrian troops in March 1709, then restored significantly in 1732 by the new holder, Radá Ádám. The castle entered into the property of a branch of Kemeny family.


The last owners were Baron Kondradshein Janos and his wife, Teleki Ilona. The Baron, of Austrian origin, came from Ploieşti when he received the castle as a gift from Adam Rodach, another Austrian nobleman after his daughter was married to a Reformed man, after divorce from her first husband, a Catholic. In 1948, after the proclamation of the Republic, the baron and his family were forced to leave in a village near Reghin, from where they emigrated to France and then in Canada.


The Ozd castle has square shape, with circular towers on corners. It does not have an uniform style. It was inspired by the Renaissance castles, whose towers began to have a more decorative role, but has also Baroque elements. The castle has 20 rooms, a ballroom, an impressive library, wine cellars, a greenhouse, stucco decorations.


After the leave of the Baron, began looting - furniture, carpets, paintings, books in the library, all have disappeared, one by one. None did nothing to stop the disaster. In the castle have been installed, one by one - an agricultural association, the kindergarten, one school, a house of culture, a community center. In the '70, it was temporary home for some teachers; it was rebuilt in the '90. Then, the heirs sold the castle for 1$ to the Bonus Pastor Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organization that restored the roof and intends to restore the entire castle. It will become a rehabilitation center.

Images from here.

4 comments:

Octavia Salcudean said...

Am vazut castelul de la Ozd, dar doar din exterior. Pacat ca atatea monumente sunt lasate in paragina!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see what is being done with the castle. My grandfather Josef Demeter lived in the castle with his family for a time. My father took us there in 1995. It was really sad for him to see what had become of the castle. I wish he could see what has been done now. We heard alot of stories of him and his brothers and sisters growing up in this castle.

Maria Kling
Nebraska, USA

Unknown said...

Good day everyone As I was browsing through the websites, I decided to use this great opportunity to Testify how the Great prophet saved my marriage, I'm from California. I want to use this opportunity to thank the great Prophet Ijeja the Great who really made my life a pleasurable one today. This great man IJEJA brought my husband back to me after 6years of breakup in our marriage, and i already had 3 lovely kids for my husband, before he left me for another lady, because she charmed him In 2007 some years ago i and my husband has been into one quarrel and some misunderstandings, life was so miserable for me, until he finally left me for the other lady. For 2years i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, until one day i met an old friend of mine that was also in a situation like this but hers was her ex-boyfriend who she had an unwanted pregnancy for and he refused to take responsibility and dumped her. she told me that MINE was a small case and that i shouldn't worryabout it at all so i asked her what was the solutions to my problems and she gave me this great mans phone number and his contact email address prophetijeja@yahoo.com i was doubting if this man was the solution, so contacted this great man and he told me what to do and I did them all, he told me to wait for just two day and that my husband will come crawling on his kneels just for forgiveness so i faithfully did what this great man asked me to do and for sure immediately after two days i heard a knock on the door, in a great surprise i saw him begging on his kneels and i was speechless, when he saw me, all he did was crying and asking me for forgiveness, from that day, all the pains and sorrows in my heart flew away,since then i and my husband and our lovely kids are happy family thats why I want to say a big thank you to Ijeja the Great Prophet This great man made me to understand that there's no problem on earth that has no solution so please if you know that you have this same problem
(1) He will help you to Have promotion in
anything you do.
(2 )Earn a good money.
(3)Success in business.
(4)spiritual problems.
(5) win court case.
(6)Looking for a good man.
(7)looking for job.
(8)want to be in control of you marriage.
(9)want to be attracted to people.
(10)you have be scammed and u need your money
back.
(11)you have be working without promotion.
(12)If you have any symptoms of sickness that is un cured
(13)You have pregnancy problems with babies:
(14)If you have problem about your womb,you
want have or bear children.
(If you have brain tumour, or mental problem, this is the time for you to contact him). You can Email
or any problem that is similar, i will advise
you to come straight to this great man.
you can email prophetijeja@yahoo.com
Thanks..

Ren said...

I visited this castle in 2005. It was a mess inside--rubble everywhere. But the roof was fairly new. We were told then that the castle was scheduled to be restored.
It does not look like a lot of restoration has been taken place. What work has been done? Is there work that just is not very evident. Is there somewhere to go to see more inside photos and learn more about this castle? It was a very exciting experience to look inside such a cool castle. I remember the plaster on the walls had been chipped off revealing lovely fresco work. It is a great place!