Sângeorgiu de Mureş Castle

Sângeorgiu de Mureş (Hungarian: Marosszentgyörgy) is a commune in Mureş County, Transylvania, Romania, situated at 320m altitude, at 3 km of Târgu-Mureş. Build over a Daco-Roman rural settlement, the village is documentary certified in 1332. Then, there was a Franciscan friary, Sacerdos de Sancto Georgio, led by a monk named Fabianus.

In 1549, the Petki family built in Sângeorgiu de Mureş the first castle, surrounded by fortress walls. In 1640, Petki Istvan built a new stone castle, along the village's main street, on a hill with a magnificent panorama. The castle was built in late Renaissance style, and modified in Baroque style in 1759. In 1870, the Mariaffi family rebuilt the castle with elements of Neoclassical and Empire styles. Construction was completed with some extraordinary costs, and for the decorations were brought craftsmen and architects from Vienna. The park with an impressive arboretum, ornamental bushes, flowers and a lake had about 7 hectares.

The heir of the domain, Mariaffy Lajos, lives in Canada and wants to sell it. The castle is now in an advanced state of decay.