In 1291, there was a wooden cross covered with shingle. The wooden church was mentioned in a Papal bull issued in 1399 by Pope Boniface IX. In the 15th century (since 1495), there was a church built of brick with a rectangular nave and apse with four sides, with the particularity of an edge in shaft, built with the support of ruling prince of Wallachia, Vlad the Monk. In 1518, the priest Petru asked the ruling prince of Wallachia, Ioan Neagoe Basarab, to build a stone church in Şchei. This church had a plan similar to the previous, with polygonal apse, with shaft edges and three buttresses, plan praised in the local chronicles. In 1521 were finished the holy altar and the bell tower, and in 1583 the ruling prince of Wallachia, Petru Cercel, raises the entrance hall of the church and features elegant stone work with faces of saints and decorations, works finished by ruling prince Aron of Moldavia.
In 1602, the family of Michael the Brave donate to the wooden church the domain Micşuneşti in Wallachia. In 1651 was finished the oratory in the tower, unique in Romania, and in 1733 was started the building of the impressive northern oratory. It was painted between 1735-1738 by four famous masters from Craiova. The southern oratory was finished in 1750, with the support of some rich merchants. The Clock tower was raised with the support of Elisabeta Petrovna, daughter of Peter the Great of Russia.
Saint Nicholas Church
Initially built in the Gothic style, it was later redone in the Baroque style. It has frescoes painted by the renowned muralist Mişu Popp. Between 1939-1946 the church was restored, a new footbridge was made, were added carved oak doors at the entrance by the craftsman Moses Şchiopul from Rupea, a new wooden iconostasis enriched with gold was made thanks to hieromonk Ieronim Belintoiu from convent Hodoş-Bodrog and the interior of the church was painted by the painter Costin Petrescu's in neo-byzantine style.
The first Romanian school
Near the church, there is the first Romanian school and a statue of Dean Coresi. It is not known exactly how the school was founded, but it was recognized by the Pope in 1395. It is also home to the first Romanian Bible, and what can be loosely described as the first school magazine. The next door museum houses a variety of first Romanian books and the first printing press.
Panoramas from www.360trip.ro. Thanks, Michael Pop!