The Haller Bastion (Corneliu Coposu Boulevard and Pompei Onofreiu Street), 1552-1553
The spade shaped building was initiated by the general Castaldo, at the time when Petrus Haller was the mayor of Sibiu. The architect was Alessandro Clippa and the masters were Peter Nürnberger and Georg Waahll. The building was finalized in 1553. The bastion is built in brick and filled with earth, its walls having a total length of 223 meters and the maximum height of the wall is of 9 meters. For a better defense, the walls were equipped with stone spacers installed at approximately 1 meter from its superior limit, meant to impede the installation of the assault ladders. The openings of the pill boxes for the cannons are preserved both towards the Thick Tower (two openings) and towards Manejului Street (three openings).
In 1771 a riding school was built on the bastion, and during the first decade of the 20th century the building of the nowadays Neurology Hospital was erected.
The Soldisch Bastion (Bastionului Street at the corner with Alba Iulia Road)
Built between 1622 and 1627 as a defense fortification of the Upper Town, it is from a chronological point of view the last of the city’s bastions. On its superior part it has a pronounced belt which was meant to impede the rising of the assault ladders. From the point of view of the dimension, the bastion is small compared to the Haller Bastion. Its shape is that of a half of club with the straight lines oriented towards Filosofilor Alley.
A beautiful coat of arms of the city is placed on a white marble plaque on the exterior side of the bastion. The Bastion wall preserves nowadays four cannon balls embedded in it. The Ruin Garden styled according to the tastes of those times by Baron Michael Brukenthal (1785), the nephew of the Transylvanian governor, Samuel von Brukenthal, also had a brook which crossed one of the long ago deallocated pill boxes of the Bastion.