On March 2, 1990, by a decision of the Romanian Government, was established the Aviation Museum. It is located in Bucharest, 2-4 Fabrica de Glucoză Street, and can be visited Tuesday-Friday (09.00-16.00) and Saturday-Sunday (10.00-17.00).
The first who launched the idea of an aviation museum was the great Romanian historian and politician Nicolae Iorga. Then, after World War I, the National Aviation League made the first concrete steps, managing to assemble a little museum of war material captured by the Romanian army during military hostilities. After 1970, due to the efforts of generals George Niculescu and Aurel Zărnescu, that at the time were chiefs of the military aviation, at the airbases in Boboc (Buzău County) and Mediaş (Sibiu County) were laid foundations for the future museum. However, following the conclusion of a Protocol, the properties passed to the aviation department of the National Military Museum.
Here you can make a splendid virtual visit in the Aviation Museum. Thanks, Michael Pop!
Since 1989, was accelerated the process of establishment of Aviation Museum. After the official act of Romanian Government, the museum has operated for more than a year in tents, in the 90th Airlift Base. Then the Aviation Museum received a relatively adequate space, at Băneasa Airport, and in 1993 was moved to present location. Current area of museum space is about 60,000 sqm, of which 6.800 sqm built area (including the "Hermann Oberth" Museum Department from Mediaş).
The Aviation Museum was established to honor the illustrious ancestors of the Romanian wing and reunification of the national heritage of prestigious achievements in aviation. To this end, the institution operates in three divisions: National and universal Aeronautics history; Air force engineering; The history of missile and space research (in Mediaş).
The endowment of the institution includes 24 collections and five documentary archives, including a total of over 15,000 titles that belonged Romanian and world aeronautical pioneers, over 20,000 volumes, and a park with 62 museum pieces - aircraft, artillery, air defense missiles, radars. Among the most valuable collections of the museum include: Aurel Vlaicu (personal items, documents, certificates, letters, original photographs, death mask), Henri Coandă (a collection unique in the world, comprising 80 parcels only partly investigated, diplomas, brochures, photos, verbatim reports, signs, original manuscripts, letters, personal items), Smaranda Brăescu (200 original photographs), Elie Carafoli, Henri August (Aircraft maker - original photos from 1909-1910), Petre Ivanovici (pilot in the famous "Red Devils" squadron - original photos and flying books from 1926 to 1931), Radu Manicatide (personal papers and notebooks), Francis Galeno (Bombing Group 5 commander during the Second World War, awarded the highest distinction of aviation - the Order of Aeronautical Virtue in rank of commander), Alexandru Marcus (one of the first Romanian pilots have flown the MiG-21 supersonic aircraft).
Also, the main buildings comprises the following broad areas:
- Traian Vuia Hall, which includes peaks of the Romanian aeronautics
- Henri Coanda Hall - engines, models, etc.
- Radu Manicatide Hall - several types of aircraft built by the famous Romanian engineer
- The uniforms and insignia of the Romanian Air Force in the period 1947-2005 Room;
- The history of radar Room;
- The Department of History of missile and space research in Mediaş, in the house which belonged to Sibiu scientist Hermann Oberth and includes also aspects of work of Romanian astronauts Dumitru Dorin Prunariu and Dumitru Dediu. This section is a museum itself, having 26 rooms.
Unfortunately, the local authorities asked the Romanian Government to pass the area in the administration of the city hall. The land will be used for housing through the National Housing Agency, and the apartments will be received by military professionals and policemen. The decision is very controversial and many NGO fight now for against it.
The architecture of the Black Sea coasts
22 hours ago